Plugins Intro Tour Tutorial Support Tour of new post breaks ...
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Tour of New Post Breaks

34 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

Thank you!

Posted : 08/10/2021 12:36 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hi @travis-wooley,

Let's try one thing ... it seems to work on our demo for me (not for newly created tours yet as it is still just a test).

Please add and activate attached testing plugin ... it is just a code, that close a tour, after you press a publish - using our API.

Please open api-tester.js file in this tester plugin and change id of tour and step number to your needs ... step will be the one, that is inviting user to click publish, tour id you can find in admin configuration of tour.

Let us know if it works for you. If so, I'll integrate this feature somehow into plugin.

Posted : 14/10/2021 1:53 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

Sorry but no change at all. Here is a screen recording from my live site.

Posted : 14/10/2021 7:02 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

Hmm, it seems it is not quite so simple. The above does work now. I must have gotten caught by some kind of cache. However, longer runs that update more than just the title still error. I'll test a longer run again in a few hours to ensure that wasn't cache too.

Posted : 14/10/2021 9:47 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

Tested again longer runs still don't work. 🙁

Also, I checked and confirmed that it is not the clicking Publish that causes the problem. Something before then is causing the problem. Here is a screen recording of one of your demo sites showing the error even though the tour ends before I click publish.

Posted : 15/10/2021 3:01 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

Good news! I found two triggers, and I suspect the source is the same for both triggers. Turning on "VARIABLES IN URL" causes this issue as does "Lock by URL Parameter". I suspect there is a bug in the URL parsing code that causes the URLs on the admin side to get mangled. I was able to reliably make the issue occur and stop occurring by toggling the "VARIABLES IN URL" option.

Posted : 15/10/2021 10:16 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

@travis-wooley,

Perfect, thank you very much for your testing. This really helps as now I have an idea where to find a bug. I'll be back as soon as I'm able to fix it.

Posted : 18/10/2021 7:20 pm
Travis reacted
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

@admin Just checking in. Any progress yet?

Posted : 29/10/2021 6:49 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hey @travis-wooley,

Sorry for late reaction. We were migrating our web to faster server so I've been very busy.

Sadly I'm not able to reproduce it at my local. Would you mind to temporarily share an admin access so I can check it at your web? If so, please send me credentials at support@deeppresentation.com

Did you try deactivate all unnecessary plugins to test, if it is not a case of plugin unwanted interaction? 

Best regards

Tomas

Posted : 30/10/2021 1:35 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

@admin Done.

I gave you access to our test enviornment so you can modify things as much as you would like without concern for our live site. (It is a very recent clone of our live site.)

When you log in you will see a series of icons. Virtually all of those icons lead to tours. The "Weekly Service (Pre-Service Setup)" is the most consistently broken one. I have never been able to get that one to work correctly. It has always exhibited the save error. I have also received reports that the very simple "Update Bulletin" one has the same problem. The file upload works fine but it won't save the page afterwards. The others may or may not work I haven't confirmed in the past few weeks.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you get it all fixed. 🙂

Posted : 30/10/2021 4:39 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

So I found an issue. The problem is that WordPress admin has problem when query strings starts with "/?" ... it requires only "?". However in general - regarding this right way of query string is "/?". That is why our plugin force it, but WordPress has obviously problem with it.

https://watch.screencastify.com/v/k2vXAJh4iJYba52a4XyB

So I identified it and now I'll make a fix.

I'll keep you updated and inform you when release is up.

I see that there would be nice to add feature ... go to next after click on visualized element ... so user doesn't have to click next and all tour would be smoother. I'll think about that and add it to todo.

Btw I really like how you use our plugin and these are beautiful use cases of admin integration. Would you mind me to use some screen video of tours on your site for our marketing purposes? I can hide whatever you wouldn't like to publish ... branding etc.

Posted : 30/10/2021 7:47 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

@admin Great! Thanks so much!

I'm afraid I couldn't see what you were trying to show in the screencast I think it cut off the top part. However, I'm very excited that you were able to identify the cause! Also, adding an "auto next" feature like that would be great!

I'm glad you like the tours! They have been very helpful for me. Sure you can use some screen videos.

Posted : 30/10/2021 11:47 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

It is fixed. It is still just beta version, that I uploaded to https://tourtesting.wpengine.com ... I need to properly test it before I release it officially as it was quite a change to plugin's logic. 

Let me know if all your tours are fixed, I tested just few of them.

Posted : 30/10/2021 11:52 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

@travis-wooley,

Thank you for permission to take some screen videos. First I'll implement "auto next" feature so tours are more intuitive, then I'll take some video screenshots. I'll keep you updated, when "auto next" feature is implemented and also everything is properly tested and new version released.

Posted : 30/10/2021 11:57 pm
(@travis-wooley)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter

@admin Thank you so much!

I just did a quick run through of a couple and the only thing I noticed is when I click publish the tour always ends, previously it would continue. Not a big deal for me I can just rearrange so that publish is always the last step.

Looking forward to "auto next" too. 🙂

Posted : 31/10/2021 12:06 am
Page 2 / 3
Share:
chevron-right-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram